When it comes to versatility, the best rotary tool for wood carving definitely takes the trophy. It has the perfect size that can easily fit in anyone’s hand; not too big and not too little. Don’t let its size fool you. Despite its relatively small size, it is a very powerful woodcarving tool that can help you with a lot of tasks.
A rotary tool comes with a lot of different accessories that can be useful to people you are found to DIY, handymen, and even hobbyists. It can cut drywall, grind, buff, carve, polish, sand, and engrave different materials like wood, metal, concrete, drywall, steel, plastic, and even glass.
What is a rotary tool?
It’s a very helpful device for hobbyists, handymen, DIYers, and craftsmen. It is a high-speed, lightweight, hand-held tool that can either be corded or cordless and battery-operated. They are mainly used for detailed work.
Most rotary tools have a range of 10,000 up to 35,000 rotates per minute. It works similarly to a drill except that it uses different attachments that has their own unique purposes. The task you can do with your rotary tool will mainly depend on what type of disc you are using.
Some of the most common uses are to remove rust from metal, carve on wood, detail, and polish different objects like door handles and even jewelry. With the many brands of rotary tools available, it can be a bit difficult to choose one.
To help you decide, below are reviews of some of the best wood carving rotary tools on the market today.
Top 5 Best Rotary Wood Carving Tools Reviews
1. WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft
A rotary tool is a must-have for any DIYer, hobbyist, or crafter. The WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft allows for precision cutting, sanding, drilling, shaping, and more. Rotary tools are one of the most flexible tools around. This kit includes an 80-piece accessory set of bits, sanding discs, polishing pads, mandrels, etc.
- The WEN 2305 with Flex Shaft is a very versatile tool for your home. That would be true for any rotary tool, never mind one that is available with an 80-piece accessory set.
- From sanding discs through polishing pads to spindles, it offers a wide variety of tools. The machine itself only weighs 3.5 pounds, another advantage.
- I already mentioned versatility, and the RPM numbers reflect that. The WEN 2305 is capable of a wide range of different outputs, from 8,000 RPM, up to 30,000. It has a 1.0 amp motor and double insulation.
- The wide assortment of various accessories is the most interesting feature of the package, with special emphasis on the Flex Shaft. This tool acts as a versatile extension of the rotary tool. It allows you to use it without actually holding the machine, almost like how you would hold a pen.
- Attaching the Flex Shaft is easy if you follow the instructions. With it on, you can use the WEN 2305 for precision works. If you ever want to engrave images onto a glass plate, you can do it with this multi-purpose tool.
- Flex Shaft for precision work
- Lightweight design
- 80-piece accessory set
- Well-fitting case
- Spindle lock
- Variable speed rotary tool, speed between 8,000-30,000 RPM
- May overheat under heavy use
2. Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt – Best cordless rotary tool
The Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite is a top-of-the-line cordless rotary tool. It’s not often you find the perfect cordless rotary tool. But this one is truly a gem. If you’re tired of bulky and heavy rotating tools, then take a look at Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt – our newest and best addition to our top picks of cordless rotary tools! It features 5 speeds that allow for precision control and an ergonomic design for maximum comfort during prolonged use.
- Also known as the Dremel Mini-Mite, the 7400-N/8 is a versatile cordless tool. It comes with a small and highly portable design, making it an ideal choice for small jobs, especially when they involve tight spaces. This compact and comfortable cordless two-speed setting is 8’’ long and weighs only 1.4 pounds.
- There are three sanding drums in the package, along with a carbine stone made out of silicone. The blue switch helps you choose between a low and a high-speed option. In addition, a separate switch allows you to temporarily put the tool into a fixed position, so you don’t accidentally switch between the two speeds while working.
- The cordless function of the machine is both convenient and practical. The cordless design gives you more freedom in your movement. What’s more, the machine is small enough to fit in tight spaces with enough power; where the corded rotary tool could be a big obstacle.
- The battery pack is removable, and once it’s depleted, it needs about three hours to fully recharge for more power. A led light indicates if the battery is in the right position for charging.
- This is compatible with just about any Dremel bit accessories, which means plenty of extra options.
- Cordless design, which makes it our pick for the best cordless rotary tool.
- Two different speed setting
- Lots of accessories
- Compatible with all Dremel bits
- Plastic housing
- Charging time could be shorter
3. DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp 30,000 RPM
If you’re looking for a specialty rotary tool that’ll get the job done with minimal effort, this is the DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp 30,000 RPM! This powerful corded design can cut through any material up to 3/4″ thick in straight lines or curves. There are multiple nozzles and attachments available so you can tackle virtually any project with ease.
- The Dewalt DW660 is a cut-out 5-amp design capable of a 30,000 RPM output. It comes with 1/4 and 1/8 inch collets and matches the company’s usual standards in versatility. This is a corded version with a powerful motor, but there is also a cordless design that has roughly the same features as the corded ones though it is cordless.
- At the back of the tool, there is a bump switch that allows for a quick shut down. It is capable of reaching 30,000 RPM with no load on it. It also has a kindle lock that lets you change accessories without any extra tools.
- The engine is sealed off, so dust cannot find its way into the housing. Most people use this tool for cutting drywall, but since it is a rotary tool, there are plenty of other different uses for it.
- There is also an adjustable depth guide at the top of the tool, made out of stamped sheet metal. The cord has a good design as well — it remains flexible even after many uses.
- Loudness is a usual problem with power tools, but this one is different. Despite its power, it is not that noisy.
- Strong engine
- 30,000 RPM output
- Convenient turn-off switch
- Slim design
- Sealed housing
- 5-amp engine
- Adjustable guide
- 2 pounds
- Tough to remove the main bit
- Lock button location
4. GOXAWEE Rotary Tool Kit with MultiPro Keyless Chuck and Flex Shaft
GOXAWEE specialty rotary tool kit with multifunction keyless chuck and variable speed is designed for hand-made crafting, woodworking project for Carving Wood & Routing as well as DIY projects. It’s a versatile power carving tool set with different attachments and accessories to facilitate all your crafting needs. The 120pcs accessory set includes Sanding Drum, Resin cutting disc, Sanding paper disc, felt wheel, diamond burr bit, mandrel, abrasive stone, and lots of other accessories.
- 140pcs Attachment & Accessory
- The variable speed dial is easy to use.
- Perfect rotary tools for wood carving
- Lightweight & portable for carrying.
- Come with 3 Jaw Universal Chuck
- Variable Speed Adjustment Knob
- Highest quality aluminum alloy, durable and lightweight
- Flexible shaft, easy to use
- Lightweight, easy to carry
- Variable speeds from 5000 to 35000 RPM
- High-precision, high-speed steel cutter, durable, easy to replace
- The wood carving tool gets hot to hold after a short time.
5. VonHaus Variable Speed Rotary Tool Set with Flex Shaft
The VonHaus Variable Speed Rotary Tool with Flex Shaft, Stand, and Storage Case set is perfect for any creative project! It includes 34 pieces of attachments including cutting, sanding, grinding, and polishing tools. With variable speeds up to 32000rpm this tool is capable of anything from wood carving to cosmetic makeup projects. Included in this package you will find a case for storage that can hold all the attachments or be stored away without taking up too much space.
- Variable speed for wood carving precision and control
- Rotation per minute or RPM ranges from 10,000 to 32,000
- Flex shaft attachment for hard-to-reach areas
- 34-piece accessory set to help you get started straight away
- It is suitable for a variety of materials, including wood, plastic, metal, glass, and much more
- Reasonable price
- Runs smoothly and quietly
- Has the right power
- Sturdy despite its size
- Performs as well as well-known brands
- Comfortable to hold as it fits nicely in the hand
- Simple to use and easy to control
- It comes with a plastic storage case to store the tool
- Does not heat up easily
- The wood carving tool feels solid but lightweight
- The consumable rotary tools bits do not last that long
- Some of the accessories it comes with tend to come off or do not fit
Things To Know Before Buying the Best Rotary Tool for Wood Carving
Some users may want to have quiet wood carving tools for a number of reasons. The first reason is that they may not want to disturb other people especially if there is a baby in their home. The second reason is that wood carving tools can also be used to easily trim our pet’s nails. You wouldn’t want to scare your pet with the noise that comes with a rotary wood carving tool.
As most of us know, most of the tools are far from being quiet devices. With the amount of work and power output it does, there is no wonder that it makes a lot of noise. However, among all the power tools, it’s the quietest one.
The fact that it is small in size helps a lot with the sound it makes. However, not all are quiet. There are still some brands that tend to make a lot of noise so you may want to invest in a more quality brand such as the Dremel model and Proxxon.
Not all task requires great power especially if you are working with delicate materials such as plastic. There are projects wherein you need extra care and precision so you may require low-speed rotary tools in the process. Most of them have a speed range of 5000 up to 30,000 rotates per minute.
There are some low-end battery-operated rotary tools that can achieve a lower rpm. Another way to achieve a low speed is to purchase a router speed control box. It allows you to control the speed of not only a rotary tool, but a few different tools as well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For new hobbyists, there may still be a few things that you may want to know about the wood carving rotary tools. Below you will find the answers to frequently asked questions:
Q. Can the rotary tool cut wood?
Ans. Like other power tools such as an oscillating tool and an angle grinder, its performance and the task that it can do will highly depend on the disc or attachment you are using. The same goes with a wood carving rotary tool. It can cut through different materials and wood is one of them.
A plain cutting attachment will be able to help you cut any type of wood of various thicknesses. However, since a rotary tool is one of the smaller power tools there is, if you require cutting wood at a larger scale, you may need to switch to a bigger one.
Q. How to carve wood with a rotary tool?
Ans. Wood carving with a rotary tool is one of the most common uses of this tool. It’s a great way to add details to crafts and decorate them. As mentioned earlier in this article, a rotary tool comes with many different attachments that have different purposes. In order to carve wood, you need to use the right attachment, and tool accessories.
The first step to do when you want to carve on wood is to find a well-lighted space to work on. Once you have decided on the right place to do your work, attach the rotary tool with bits that are required for carving/engraving.
The next step is to design the wood you are going to carve so that you will have a guide and avoid making mistakes. After that, it is important that you make an outline first by pressing lightly using your rotary tool.
When satisfied, carve away. Make sure to sweep off the sawdust while working so that it does not interfere with your work. Lastly is to remove any rough edges and retouch areas.
Q. What can I do with a rotary tool?
Ans. Ans. This versatile tool has a great number of uses. All of its uses would depend on what type of attachment you are using. When using the right drill bit or attachment, you will be able to cut Drywall, engraving, grinding stones, sand, polish, buff, and carving process.
Q. What does a rotary tool do?
Ans. The rotary wood carving tools are high-speed devices that can help you with DIY work, crafts, wood carving projects, and home improvement. With the additional power, a rotary tool can grind, cut, polish, carve shape, buff, and sand a lot of different materials such as metal, concrete, wood, ceramic, laminate, glass, and even plastic.
Q. What is the difference between a rotary tool and a Dremel?
Ans. Actually, the tool is known as a rotary tool and Dremel is a popular brand of rotary tool. The Dremel brand makes lots of other tools like saws, oscillating tools, etc. other than the rotary tools.
Whether you are a professional jewelry maker or a person who just loves to tinker and tweak objects, then you should definitely have the best rotary tool for wood carving at your disposal. It has a great number of users that you can highly benefit from for different projects.
You can use these power carving tools to cut a piece of metal and even put tiny details on wood. Its other uses are grinding, polishing, sanding, carving, engraving, and buffing different materials. Just remember that when operating a rotary wood carving tool, make sure to take safety precautions by using goggles to prevent glass or wood shards, dust, and sparks from getting in your eyes. You can also take extra precautions by using gloves and a mask.